The Government of Jamaica, through the implementation of the Logistics Hub Initiative, aims to establish Jamaica as the premier logistics node within the Americas. A critical aspect of achieving this objective is to also ensure that a logistics centered economy is created whereby a friendly environment is developed for both businesses and consumers.
The initiative will involve the creation of state of the art logistics zones, upgrading and further development of air and sea port infrastructure and the creation of an enabling environment which will allow businesses to fully exploit Jamaica’s strategic location. Jamaica sits at the intersection of several maritime and aviation routes to the Americas, Europe and Western Africa. As such, businesses located in Jamaica can readily access large commercial markets in North, Central and South America (totalling over 800 million people). Jamaica’s Logistics Hub will provide businesses with prime opportunities for swift delivery to final consumers and substantial cost savings.
With strategic investment and global partnerships, the Jamaica Logistics Hub will include:
- Maritime and air cargo logistics hubs
- Strategic storage, handling and processing points for bulk commodities
- Expansive special economic zones facilitating assembly, warehousing, sorting, distribution and other value-added services, particularly for industries catering to time sensitive and high-value cargo
- Aviation-related maintenance repair and overhaul and ship repair and dry docking
- A robust digital network to support efficient global value chain tracking and tracing, as well as e-commerce operations